What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is grounded in Jesus' command to love one another. Through one-to-one caring relationships, those who are hurting receive the love and care they need to support them.
Is life more than you can handle alone right now?
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is...
Are your health, your attitude, or your relationships suffering?
Are you adjusting to a new job, change in marital status, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, or a recent move?
Would you like to have someone in your life who really cares?
Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen, and to share God's love with you can help you get through the confusion, stress, or loneliness you may be experiencing.
A Stephen Minister is NOT...
- A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting.
- A caring, Christian friend who takes the time to really listen.
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care.
What are the needs with which Stephen Ministry can help?
- A counselor or therapist
- A problem-solver
- A casual visitor
How exactly does the referrals process work?
- Terminally ill
- In a job crisis
- New church members
- In a spiritual crisis
- Looking for a caring, Christian friend
Stephen Ministers are called to be Caregivers
- A person - either you, a relative, or a friend, is hurting and in need of Christian care
- The Stephen Ministry Referrals Coordinator learns about this need for care from a pastor, a friend (only after the person in need has granted permission) or from the person who is in need of care
- Ruth Currie, our Referrals Coordinator meets with the person to talk about Stephen Ministry
- With the person's permission, the Referrals Coordinator assigns a Stephen Minister to meet on a weekly basis with that person.
- The Stephen Minister provides distinctively Christian and strictly confidential care.
Galatians 6:2 - Bear one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Thessalonians 5:14b - Encourage the faint hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them.
God is the Curegiver
Psalm 55:22a - Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you.
Matthew 11:28 - Come to Me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.
For more information call:
Lou Anne Hoffman - 817.453.4851
Ruth Currie - 817.475.5176 - Referrals Coordinator
Pastor Hildebrandt - 817.274.1626
This page updated October 16, 2014.